The Codex Gigas
Also known as the Devils Bible, the Codex is the largest manuscript in the world, written in the 13th century in Latin, it is 1 meter in length, 165 lbs, and takes two people to lift. It currently resides in the National Library of Stockholm.
The Legend of It’s Creation
- According to myth, the Codex was written by a monk who was sentences to death for breaking his vows. He made a pact with the Devil to write it in one night, with the Devils help, in order to prove to his monastery that he was worthy.
- Besides this myth, nothing is known about the books creator.
- Half of the Codex is simply just a translation of the Old Testament and the New Testament.
- The two are separated by a copy of Josephus’ two histories of the Jews (antiquities of the jews) as well as De Bello Iudaico’s Encyclopedic Etymologae.
- It also contains eight medical writings by Hippocrates and other important figures of the time
- The Chronicle of Bohemia by Cosmas of Prague also takes up a large portion of the book.
- Smaller texts include texts on exorcisms, magic formulas, a picture of the Heavenly City, and a full page depiction of the Devil (both pictured above).
- The last fourteen pages are a Calender
Odd Facts about the Codex
- After being studied over and over, it’s practically perfect, without any typo’s despite being hand-written.
- Based on the handwriting, the book was written by one person.
- According to experts, even with strict devotion and every day writing, the Codex would have taken 25-30 years to finish.
- Despite this, the handwriting virtually doesn’t change from front to finish, almost like it was written in one day.
- The ink, made from insects, also virtually doesn’t change throughout the book despite the fact it should have (as bugs change from season to season and year to year, and ink doesn’t stay)
- In the picture of the City of Heaven, no people can be seen in the city.
- The pages surrounding the Portrait of the Devil are darker than the other pages of the book.
- Leaders of the catholic church admit to having no record of both the spells and the exorcisms listed in the book.
The Curse of the Codex
- According to legend, sorrow and tragedy befalls people who have owned the Codex in the past.
- Myths of previous owners include a monastery that contracted one of the worst cases of the bubonic plague after receiving the book, and the castle where the book was being held burning down, the book being thrown out a window in order to be saved from the flames.
- However, nothing has happened to the library it is currently being held.
If you want to know more, a documentary about the book called The Devils Bible, is on Netflix!
I dont have many followers left because of my inactivity but hopefully the last few of you can help ma save this cat.
Im taking donations for this abandoned starved cat
Her donation page is http://www.gofundme.com/dabo2o
Her background story and info is on the donation page, but just in case people dont go to it, at least share it for someone who will.
“This cat, who we have decided to name Angel, was found in the middle of the road yesterday night (8/19/14), unable to stand. Initially everyone thought she was hit by a car but after getting a closer look at her, she was simply dying of starvation. She couldn’t stand on her own or open her eyes. When we brought her in our house to feed/water her whatever we tried to give her would simply fall out of her mouth. After a few minutes of trying, we got her to start licking chicken juice off our finger and drink a little bit of water. After seeing she was still willing to eat, we decided to stop feeding her (since she could get sick) and take her to a hospital.
She has been abandoned and starved but after taking her to an emergency clinic, we find out that other than the fact she is severely underweight and dehydrated, her organs are ok and she has no diseases.
My family believes that a neighboor that was foreclosed on a few months ago threw out their house cat and simply left her on her own. Being a house cat all her life most likely made it extremely difficult to find food and avoid the enourmous amount of cyotes living in a nearby park.
We gave her to the vet to keep under surveillance last night and get some liquids in her.
My family and I have high hopes for this cat considering she is very eager to eat and purrs when held/pet. But sadly the vet gave us an idea of the price after all the procedure and its extremely difficult for us to pay, especially since this cat isn’t even ours.
My family is expecting a bill of around $1,500 (We had been originally told around 1,000 dollars but as the cat stays in the hospital longer, the bill gets bigger.
Its currently at 1,200. If the bill stays at 1,200 and we still reach our goal of 15, we will use the money to keep the cat in good condition until we can find her a new owner. Or we will use the remaining money to donate to other pet donation sites to help other animals with similar stories.
Even if its just a dollar, anything can help us keep this cat going .
Also, for anyone that donates and would consider adopting Angel, we will be looking for a new home for her. If you’re interested in giving her a permanent home please feel free to contact me.”
Thanks in advance for anyone that donates to this cat or shares her story
That’s a lil much.. they could be used as tables and chairs
Skinny girls are praised literally everywhere
I don’t give a FUCK if ONE song says “Fuck those skinny bitches”
shut the fuck up
Okay but where is the lie? How many magazines got this ultra thin lady telling you what you can do to “please…
look , i literally can’t stress how cute this deleted parks and rec scene is and im about to lose my fucking shit.
Im in love with Chris Pratt
Awww, you tried so hard, but unfortunately I can’t hear you over the sound of my debt-free college degree and massive disposable income.
never forget when my boss used the words “well respected” to describe glenn beck
I literally had to hold back laughing and I just holy fuck it was so surreal
"It’s not about race!"
So I guess the Ku Klux Klan showed up for some fresh air, then?
tru and that’s literally the stupidest fucking thing I’ve ever heard of and a cable news network that rakes in billions latched onto it as undeniable truth.
sorry this is replied to dumbly I’m on mobile :v I can only reply via screencap